Monday, October 6, 2008

Review: Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland

Any Given Doomsday
by Lori Handeland



My Rating:
4 stars4 stars4 stars4 stars

Liz Phoenix has never had a "normal" life. Her psychic abilities have more often been a burden than a gift. Unfortunately for Liz, things are about to get even stranger and everything she knows about herself, her abilities and her loved ones will soon be tested.

It all begins when Liz has a psychic flash that leads her to the house where she was raised, along with other cast-outs, by a lady named Ruthie. When she gets there she finds that Ruthie has been brutality attacked and left to die.

Liz blacks out and finds herself in a hospital being visited by Jimmy, the man who broke her heart many years ago. With the help of Jimmy, Liz sets out to find Ruthie's killer and finds herself stuck in an age-old battle between good and evil.

This is a fast-paced read with lots of exciting action and steamy romance. I found the paranormal elements extremely interesting and well researched. The story had a good balance of serious moments and witty humor. Liz, the main character, is tough and independent but also shows a vulnerable side. Overall, she is very likable and I wouldn't mind getting to know her better.

My favorite character was Sawyer, a sexy mysterious Native American who helps Liz reveal her true potential. I hope to learn more about him in future stories.

I would definitely recommend Any Given Doomsday to other fans of paranormal romance. Just a little warning, this book does contain quite a few pretty graphic sex scenes. Although necessary to the story, I found them a bit excessive. For the most part, however, I enjoyed the story and I will be looking for other books written by Lori Handeland.

No comments: